16 Mar Writing an Effective Job Description
When you decide that it’s time to add a new employee to your team, one of the first things you’ll need to do is create a job description. You don’t want to write just any job description but rather a highly effective job description, which will in turn give you more time to connect with you ideal candidates, rather than sifting through hundreds of candidates. Your description is incredibly important to define and describe the ideal candidate for your open opportunity. To ensure you are equipped to write the best, we’ve put together a list of six important details to include in your written description to find top talent.
- Start with the job title. Although it may see fun to add “guru” or “rockstar” to your administrative or developers title, stick with a title that describes what they will be doing. This way it’s more descriptive and less vague for potential candidates to capture.
- Give a bird’s eye view before diving in to the details. After your descriptive title share an overview of the job major functions, how it contributes to the company’s goals and why it’s important for the company and larger community.
- When listing responsibilities, spend time focusing on growth and the key responsibilities, rather than getting stuck in the minutia of the job details. A good candidate should know that a job comes with mundane tasks; but painting the larger picture of their responsibilities can help them understand the exciting, engaging and growth aspects of the role.
- Ask current employees to look over the job description. They may understand parts of the role best as they interact with it and can help describe it in a well-rounded way.
- Proof for grammar and spelling. Just as you will be assessing candidate’s resumes based on their spelling and grammar, they will be doing the same for you.
- Most importantly: sell your job and company. Most of your ideal candidates will be currently in a position and you’ll want to convince them that your opportunity and company is better than where they are currently at!
At Scion, we are an incredibly passionate and innovative team that is committed to providing you with an unmatched life-changing client experience. Contact us today!